Currently the only formal programs for boys and girls youth sevens in the region the CCAS Youth Rugby Sevens Program offers a very real pathway locally to National, Commonwealth Games & Olympic Games Team talent identification.
This program model will help to create higher-level development opportunities for players.
The program will see the opportunity for athletes to be exposed to elite players, coaches and programs at both state and national level building toward identified tournaments + other suitable competition events including Academy Games.
Approximately 20 athletes are offered a position in the boys and girls CCAS Youth Sevens Programs.
Athletes are selected over trial days, which will be held at the Central Coast Grammar School.
The squad is chosen based on ability, dedication and ambition. All eligible athletes who are interested in this thrilling game are encouraged to try out.
Rugby Sevens is now recognised as an Olympic Sport and will make its debut at the 2016 Olympic Games in Brazil (in both men’s and women’s competitions).
Rugby Sevens is now one of the fastest growing team sports in the world.
There are great opportunities available through Sevens, with various events being utilised as a talent identification events with a view to the Olympics, Commonwealth Games and competition on the world stage through World Rugby’s Sevens World Series.
To be eligible for an Academy Women’s Rugby Sevens position athletes must:
– Be turning 15, 16 or 17 years old in the current year;
– Preferably residing within the LGA of Central Coast Council;
– Athletes playing in a recognised rugby competitions in Sydney/Newcastle and/or Athletes performing at high level in related sports such as Touch, Rugby League, Oz-Tag, Netball, Athletics etc.;
*Please note, to be eligible to play in competition/tournaments you must be at least 16 years of age, and assessed capable of playing. Younger athletes can still apply for a position within the squad to attend training sessions.
A program fee will be applicable to successful athletes and covers the cost of participation in the program, registration fees, insurance, training equipment, facility bookings, CCAS Uniform and Rugby playing uniform and tickets to the Annual Awards Evening.
Athletes accepted into the program will receive high level coaching sessions at the Central Coast Grammar School under the guidance of CCAS Rugby Coaches Stewart Jenkins & Justin Staben, with guest coaching from NSW Women 7s Coach Nathan McMahon.
In addition to this, selected athletes will receive the following benefits:
– Opportunities to represent the CCAS at various events (such as The Academy Games and invitational matches);*
– A CCAS merchandise kit;
– Specialist guest coaching sessions;
– Introduction to elite level pathways and talent identification;
– Identification and training methods to correct techniques;
– Access to the CCAS online communication system;
– 20% discount off all purchase made through the CCAS online store;
– Access to strength and conditioning programs plus nutrition;
– 20% discount on all CCAS merchandise and various other athlete discounts including preferred pricing for 2XU, Victor Sports, Mingara One Gym, Water to Go, among many others.
*To be eligible to play in competitions/tournaments you must be at least 16 years of age and assessed capable of playing. Younger athletes can still apply for a position with the squad to attend training sessions.