This year’s surfing program will be lead by a team of Central Coast elite surfing coaches to further develop the regions future junior surfing champions. These professionals bring skills, knowledge and experience in competing with the worlds’ best surfers and they have ample experience in working with elite athletes.
Each year, interested athletes are asked to complete the application form and gain nomination approval from their local board rider association club representative prior to submission of their application.
The Academy’s surfing selection panel assesses each applicant on their ability, performance, and potential as well as their personal attributes such as attitude and coachability. Suitable applicants will be invited to take up a position in the squad.
Successful athletes are announced on the CCAS website shortly after the application closing date.
Scholarship athletes are selected from local Central Coast Boardrider Associations and receive the associated benefits of being a scholarship holder through the CCAS.
Athletes chosen into the program are seeking to advance their skills and performance in line with the FTEM Model of athlete development, Foundation, Talent, Elite and Mastery.
To be eligible for a CCAS surfing scholarship, athletes must:
– Be male or female currently aged 11 to 17 years of age
– Be currently residing in the LGA of Central Coast Council
– Be a current registered member of Surfing NSW
– Be a current financial member of a local boardrider association
– Be prepared to progressing to higher representation within surfing
– Have the nomination form endorsed by your local board riders association (preferred).
– Athletes will be accepted as a scholarship holder upon signing an athlete agreement to attend compulsory training / education sessions as scheduled.
Failure to do so will result in the cancellation of scholarship and thereby all benefits associated with being a scholarship holder.
Only eligible athletes that can fulfill these commitments are encouraged to apply.
Please note if successful, a program registration fee should be paid prior to the commencement of the program.
A program fee will be applicable to successful athletes and covers the full cost of participation the program, the CCAS merchandise kit (uniform) and a family ticket (4 pax) to the CCAS Annual Awards Evening.
Whilst this amount is billed to the individual, clubs are encouraged to assist where possible in covering or part covering the costs of the scholarship.
In addition to regular scheduled beach / in water training, skill and personal development sessions athletes will receive:
– Video analysis and skill development
– Competition strategies and workshops
– Guest coaching and education sessions
– Specialised performance and fitness testing
– A CCAS merchandise kit
– Identification and training methods to correct techniques
– Assistance with wave usage and wave count
– Skateboard sessions on Streetboardz to practice technique
– Equipment advice
– Opportunities to represent the CCAS at various events
– 20% off all CCAS merchandise and various other athlete discounts including preferred pricing for 2XU, Victor Sports, Mingara One Gym (for those 15 years and over) and Water to Go, among others.